The Central Jersey Chapter of the CPCU Society
The CPCU Society, a nationwide organization of Insurance and Risk Management Professionals, promotes continuing education, professionalism, research, high ethical standards and community service by property-casualty insurance professionals. The Society members believe in the value of education and have or are in the process of earning the prestigious CPCU (Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter) designation. The CPCU designation is conferred by the American Institute for CPCU to those in the industries that have developed expertise, and pledge to abide by an enforceable code of professional ethics.
The Central Jersey Chapter of the CPCU Society has a Scholarship Program which offers a $1,500 scholarship to each of two students. Priority will be given to those students who are seeking a career in insurance or an insurance related field. Matching funds may be available from the Loman Foundation, part of the National CPCU Society.
The Applicant must be an Active Member of the Central New Jersey CPCU Chapter, the
Spouse, Child, Grandchild, Stepchild or dependent of an active Chapter Member.
The Student must be enrolled or accepted to, and planning to attend, an accredited two or four year college or vocational school; not have been awarded this scholarship in the past; and not been the recipient of full financial aid or any other full scholarship.
Prior unsuccessful candidates may reapply.
Please see the next page for the application instructions and do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance.
Mike Pawelczak, CPCU
B: 609-883-1300 x6931
Instructions for Application
Please submit the following:
1. A completed SCHOLARSHIP GRANT APPLICATION.
2. Transcript of high school or college grades as of the end of the current school year. The transcript should cover at least two prior academic years and all college work.
3. A copy of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) scores. Please note in ITEM 14 of the application if you were not required to take the SAT.
4. Two letters of recommendation from the persons listed in ITEM 12 of the application, sent by the deadline under separate cover, to the address below.
a. One letter from a teacher.
b. One letter from a guidance counselor.
All of the above materials should be sent to the address below by March 1, 2016.
All Applicants will be notified of the results by April 1, 2016.
Mike Pawelczak, CPCU Central Jersey Chapter CPCU Scholarship
5 Treelawn Ter.
Hamilton, NJ 08619-1920
The Loman Foundation may provide matching scholarship funds to complement the funding from the Central Jersey Chapter of the CPCU Society. The goal is to foster insurance and risk management education at the college level and encourage students to pursue the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter designation.
The Foundation requires the following:
1. The student has demonstrated success at the college level;
2. The student has completed a minimum number of credit hours to be classified by the educational institution as a sophomore; and
3. The student is pursuing courses leading to a degree in insurance, risk management enterprise risk management, risk management for public entities, or if no similar degree is offered, the student is pursuing courses in these fields at the time of the request for scholarship funding.
Individuals currently employed in insurance or the risk management industry and taking one or more courses related to insurance or risk management may be eligible as well, and should complete the attached document.
Central Jersey Chapter, CPCU – Scholarship Grant Application Page 1
1. About the Applicant:
City State Zip
Date of Birth: Home Phone: ( ) SS#
2. Family member or Applicant that is currently an active member of the Central
New Jersey CPCU chapter:
State Zip code
3. School in which presently enrolled or attending and your status. (freshman, sophomore, etc.)
4. At which school have you been accepted and plan to attend?
5. What recognition have you received in school for scholastic excellence (i.e. honors, awards, etc.)?
6. Do you believe that your present and recent grades in high school and/or advanced education reveal fairly and accurately your ability to do the work required at a higher level of education? If not, please explain.
7. List any extra curricular activities in which you have taken part. (i.e. year book staff, athletics, clubs, etc.)
8. List any religious, civic, fraternal, recreational or other organizations in which you have been active during the past two years. Mention if you have held an office in the organization.
9. Have you any special skills or training in any field? If so, please provide a brief description.
10. What are your career goals at the present time? Please be specific.
11. Indicate the reason(s) you feel you deserve this scholarship. Page 3
12. List below the name of a person(s) who knows you and your academic record well and whom you have asked to send a letter of recommendation to the Selection Committee. (One from a teacher and one from a guidance counselor)
13. List any employers and the average number of hours worked per month during your school years.
Employer name Address Hours per month
14. The space below may be used to enter any additional data you may wish to bring to the attention of the Selection Committee. (Please note if you were not required to take the SAT in this space.)
I hereby affirm that I have completed this entire application, have not been a recipient of full financial aide and have answered the questions truthfully.
Signature of Applicant _
CPCU- Loman Scholarship Supplemental Application
The Loman Supplemental Scholarship program is for full time employees in the insurance industry, risk management, or enterprise risk management fields who are taking courses at the college or university level to further their career in insurance or risk management, but not necessarily in pursuit of a degree.
Name of the Applicant _ Date / /_
Phone Number (
Applicant’s Principal Duties
Applicant’s Job Title
Applicant’s Date of Hire / /
Name of Educational Institution
Educational Institution’s Web address
Course starting date / /
ending date / /
How will the successful completion of this course advance the Applicant’s career?
Contact:Michael Pawelczak, CPCU